Most of us have already had an experience of shipping a car to another place. The reason behind the shipping of our car may range from a simple transfer of residence to the more complex relationship or professional reasons. Yet, whatever the reason may be, the process of shipping one’s will always remain a bit tasking and may leave us apprehensive of whatever may happen along the way. Hence, if you are moving your car to another county or to a distant state, it would be good to follow the following steps on how to ship your car:
1. The first step you should take is to thoroughly list down your shipping requirements. Your shipping requirements may include your budget, your location and the location to where you are going to ship your car, your pickup date as well as your delivery date, and the approximate travel mileage involved in the shipment of your car.
2. The second step is to go online and engage in a simple research of the different car transport companies. Online, you will find companies that engage in car transport and brokers who can help you find the most appropriate auto transport company. I guess it’s better to look for a transport company than to work with a transport broker.
3. The third step will require you to make a comparative analysis of the different shippers bid and quotes. One caveat which you should take heed of is: “When selecting a particular transport company, always go for those companies that have a very fair program for dispute settlement.” Somewhere along the way, dispute may arise even if you have chosen a reputable company. Hence, it would be good to choose a company that has a clearly outlined dispute settlement program. Additionally, car transport companies will readily allow you to choose whether you want your car to be transported on an open carrier, a closed one, or a multivehicle carrier. I would usually prefer to have my car shipped using an open carrier.
4. Step four basically advises you to check on the certificate of insurance of the company. You should likewise check on the safety record of the company at the website of the Department of Transportation. You should also contact beforehand the Better Business Bureau to find out if there are standing complaints against the company of your choice. The same bureau will let you know how the complaints are handled by the company.
5. Next, you should then prepare your car for shipment. You should empty your cars of all valuables, such as jewelry and other gadgets. Likewise, you should clean your car and take the necessary documentation and photos of the interior and the exterior of your car. You should also leave your fuel tank about ¾ full.
6. Lastly, upon the delivery of your car, you should thoroughly inspect your car, inside and out. The photos you have taken before shipment will be your proof if something is damaged in your car. Then, on the bill of lading, you should note if there are damages and let the driver sign the document. Photocopy the document and secure a copy for yourself. You can also visit http://movingcars.com.au – Car transport interstate to know more about car transport companies.